Truck Driver Shortage Solutions
Truck Driver Shortage Statistics and Information
Driver shortages has plagued the industry for years and shows no sign of getting better in the immediate future. Turnover rates continue to rise, costing companies money and hurting productivity. When things feel dismal there are things that companies can do right now to improve recruiting and most importantly, to help improve retention. Take a look at some current shortage statistics and facts to better understand this problem our industry faces:
- In 2016 the shortage of truck drivers was down 36,500 truckers, about 9000 truckers less than 2015
- There is an average of roughly 10.5 billion tons of freight (70.6% of all tonnage moved) moved annually in the U.S, meaning without truckers, America’s economy would end up at a standstill.
- 90% annualized rate of turnover in the for-hire truckload sector.
*Statistics found in the “Truck Driver Shortage Analysis 2017” by Bob Costello, American Trucking Associations
Your Truck Driver Shortage Solutions At Trincon
Trincon Group has worked with trucking companies for over thirty years providing shortage solutions to improve the conditions that lead to high truck driver turnover, and to improve their recruiting efforts. The results: Many of our clients have cut driver turnover in half, dramatically improved recruiting, and significantly improved operational profitability.
Our services include:
Profitability & Situational Analysis
The profitability & Situational Analysis will show you how to reduce your costs using cost reduction strategies to get the most out of your assets.Learn More
TruCosting Trucking Software
TruCosting was designed to give you control of your business, helping you cut costs and find the right pricing for profitability.Learn More
Find opportunities to eliminate your management problems and ultimately reduce driver problems as well as positively impact productivity and profitability.Learn More
Driver Recruitment and Retention
Avoid poor driver retention, recruitment, and high driver turnover to maximize productivity and keep your greatest asset with our driver retention program.Learn More
New Business Development
Specifically designed business development strategies for trucking companies that help you acquire the right accounts and customers that fits your needs.Learn More
Truck Driver Shortage Resources
In this section you will find a variety of tools and resources that have been proven in the industry, and can help you address this critical issue. We also provide links to some of our business partners who can provide additional assistance. We hope you will find them of value in your operation.
Driving Solution Tools:
- Driver Turnover Cost Calculator: The Driver Turnover Cost Calculator is an easy to use Business Analysis tool designed to help business executives better understand the costs associated with driver turnover and their effect on overall profitability.
- Truck Driver Hiring and Retention Solutions Manual: Learn how to hire and retain your most important asset. Geared toward top and middle management of both large and mid-size operations, the 66-page manual provides a structured model for creating a turnkey program for locating, hiring and retaining quality drivers.
White Papers and Articles:
- Driver Retention Articles*: This paper examines strategies for improving driver turnover, recruiting the best people, and keeping them on the job.
- A Purpose Driven Career*: This paper provides guidelines for developing a career path for drivers.
- Case Study: Nussbaum Trucking*: The September, 2012 issue of Heavy Duty Trucking outlines the driver development and retention program implemented by Nussbaum Trucking that has been responsible for lowering their driver turnover to less than 30%.
- Driver Compensation Strategies*: A presentation to the Ohio Trucking Association on Driver Compensation and Strategies.
- Hiring the Drivers You Want*: An article by Bill Kistner for the Pennsylvania Motor Truck Association.
Driver Solutions Videos
Overcoming the Driver Shortage. A 60 minute video replay of Trincon Group’s webinar on Driver Recruiting and Retention. Originally presented in August of 2016.
Other Solution Providers and Business Partners
A division of Firetoss, the Driveteks team is focused 100% on developing cutting-edge pathways to recruit more drivers each day. We use our advanced filtering software to find specific drivers that meet our client’s qualifications.
A comprehensive education program offered by the Truckload Carriers Association. TCA’s mission is to create success for the truckload industry through providing benefits and services to all members.
Provides a comprehensive legal benefit services to the trucking industry. They also give the power to provide you with fast, local access to the industry’s leading attorney network.